Bug Club is a powerful guided and independent reading programme with comprehension questions that is proven to raise attainment in reading, spelling and comprehension. It combines a library of stunning books with an online reading world that will help develop confident young readers.
Bug Club can be accessed on tablets, phones and computers; we have found that the App works best on Chrome and Microsoft Edge. Please remember to record that your child has read in Bug Club in their Reading Diary.
How Bug Club Works:
- Bug Club can be accessed by visiting the Bug Club website at: activelearnprimary.co.uk/login
- Each child has their own personal log in and password, this can be found in either their Home School Links Book or Reading Diary (Please keep these safe and private). The school code is 3ghp. Some children might have a different log in and password to last year so please check them carefully.
- Staff have set up each child with an individualised reading programme relevant to their reading score and present book band level.
- When your child logs in they will be able to see books in the ‘My Stuff’’
- Choose one of the books to read (In some levels you can select to have the book read to your child)
- Throughout the books there are bug icons which are quiz questions for your child to complete. To answer a question, just click on the bug icon. Your child does not need to finish all the quiz questions in one sitting and can come back to a book later. When the questions are answered the bug will go to sleep.
However, your child does need to read the questions carefully and use the text to help them answer the question correctly. Please don’t let them rush and guess the answer, the questions are as important as reading the book. Staff get a report on the percentage of questions answered correctly, the percentage answered correctly first time needs to be between 50 and 75% if the child is on track for the level they are reading. Children’s level of reading might need to be adjusted if the percentages are too low.
- When your child has finished all the quiz questions in a book, he or she will earn ‘ActiveLearn Coins’. By reading more books, your child will earn enough coins to ‘buy’ a reward in one of the many reward schemes.
- When your child has finished a book, it will move to ‘My Library’. Children can read these books again if they want to, or they can choose a new book from ‘My Stuff’.
- New books will be added automatically once books have been completed.
- A report is sent frequently to your child’s class teacher advising them of the progress your child has made. Staff will review book levels and make adjustments if needed.
- If your child is having trouble using the pupil world, help can be found in the Help Section of ActiveLearn Primary (in the top right-hand corner of the website).
If you have any problems please email me at email@example.com and mark your email Bug Club. Please also include your child’s name and class.